The Longest Word in English and in The World
- The longest word in standard English dictionaries is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis at 45 letters long.
- The longest English word that does not contain the letter ‘e’ is floccinaucinihilipilification at 29 letters.
- Cabbaged and fabaceae, each 8 letters long, are the longest words that can be played on a musical instrument.
- Aegilops, 8 letters long, is the longest word with its letters arranged in alphabetical order.
- Spoonfed, 9 letters long, is the longest word with its letters arranged in reverse alphabetical order.
- CIMICIC and CIMICID, each 7 letters long, are the longest words that are exclusively made up of Roman numerals when written in upper case. Among words consisting of only Roman numeral letters, the “highest scoring” are MIMIC (2,102) and IMMIX (2,012).
- Overnumerousnesses, 18 letters long, is the longest word that consists of only letters that lack ascenders, descenders and dots in lower case.
- Lighttight and hillypilly, each 10 letters long, are the longest words consisting only of letters with ascenders, descenders and dots in lower case.
- Tittifill, 9 letters long, is the longest word consisting only of letters with ascenders or dots in lower case.
- Honorificabilitudinitatibus, 27 letters long, is the longest word consisting strictly of alternating consonants and vowels.
- Dermatoglyphics, misconjugatedly and uncopyrightable , each 15 letters long, are the longest words in which no letter appears more than once.
- Unprosperousness, 16 letters long, is the longest word in which each letter occurs at least twice.
- Esophagographers, 16 letter long, is the longest word in which each of its letters occurs twice.
- Discrete – discreet is the longest homophonic anagram (2 similarly pronounced words that are spelled differently but sound the same and are composed of the same letters).
- Redivider is the longest common palindromic word ( a word reading the same backwards and forwards).
- The longest words that are reverse images of each other are stressed and desserts .
The longest word in the world
The longest word ever used in Sanskrit literature and in the world.
In transliteration composed of 431 letters, thus making it the longest word ever to appear in worldwide literature.
The approximate meaning of this word is:
- “In it, the distress, caused by thirst, to travellers, was alleviated by clusters of rays of the bright eyes of the girls; the rays that were shaming the currents of light, sweet and cold water charged with the strong fragrance of cardamom, clove, saffron, camphor and musk and flowing out of the pitchers the lotus-like hands of maidens the beautiful water-sheds, made of the thick roots of vetiver mixed with marjoram, the foot, covered with heaps of couch-like soft sand, of the clusters of newly sprouting mango trees, which constantly darkened the intermediate space of the quarters, and which looked all the more charming on account of the trickling drops of the floral juice, which thus caused the delusion of a row of thick rainy clouds, densely filled with abundant nectar.”