(23 December 1991, Florida) The private pilot and a pilot rated passenger were going to practice simulated instrument flight. Witnesses observed the airplane’s right wing fail in a dive and crash. Examination of the wreckage and bodies revealed that both occupants were partially clothed and the front right seat was in the full aft reclining position. Neither body showed evidence of seatbelts or shoulder harnesses being worn. Examination of the individuals’ clothing revealed no evidence of ripping or distress to the zippers and belts.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause of this accident as follows:
The pilot in command’s improper in-flight decision to divert her attention to other activities not related to the conduct of the flight. The pilot and co-pilot were having sex, and nobody was flying the plane. Contributing to the accident was the exceeding of the design limits of the airplane leading to a wing failure. The lack of a pilot caused the plane to fly erratically, over-stressing the wing and leading to a crash.
- Spend more time watching TV/movies.
- Chat more over the internet.
- Read less.
- Put on at least 30 pounds.
- Stop exercising. Waste of time.
- Procrastinate more.
- Drink. Drink some more.
- Start being superstitious.
- Spend more time at work. Get less done.
- Stop bringing lunch from home: I should eat out more.
- Take up a new habit: Maybe smoking!