Episode Notes: Tenso
In writing the Tenso episode script, Don and I had so many issues we wished to say about how superior Brazil is in terms of their forward-thinking strategy to democratizing tradition and reforming their copyright legal guidelines. We will solely squeeze a lot data right into a 3-5 minute episode earlier than it begins to really feel prefer it’s straying off subject, so we determined to share what we all know right here on the KYM weblog.
Web Utilization in Brazil
Being the fifth largest and some of the multicultural nations on the earth, web utilization in Brazil spans broad and deep, with over 69 million Brazilians on-line on a regular basis. In keeping with the newest knowledge offered by World Financial institution:
Copyright Legal guidelines in Brazil
- 1802: Brazil turns into one of many first nations to ascertain a nationwide copyright regime, after the UK, France and United States.
- 2001: Brazil hosts the World Social Forum; an open, non-governmental assembly for debating and coordinating anti-globalization methods.
- 2003: Gilberto Gil, a well known Brazilian singer/songwriter, is appointed by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva to be Brazil’s Minister of Tradition; Gil creates a partnership between the nationwide authorities and Creative Commons to advertise authorized licenses to facilitate creative collaboration earlier than leaving workplace in 2008.
- 2005: Brazilian authorities companies and organizations begin utilizing Linux, an open-source working system.
- 2010: Copyright legal guidelines are up to date to ban Digital Rights Administration (DRM) insurance policies from taking impact when works qualify as “Truthful Use”.
A Remix Manifesto
This clip from the 2008 documentary Rip! A Remix Manifesto accommodates some nice quotes from Gil, Lawrence Lessig, and others shedding gentle on how Brazil is a society the place it’s broadly understood that constructing upon one another’s work is one thing to be valued and inspired, not prohibited.
Analysis Credit score
Thanks additionally goes out to Brazilian meme researcher Fernando Fontanella for bringing Tenso to our consideration within the first place. Kenyatta and I had the pleasure of assembly Fernando in particular person throughout Roflcon II final spring.
Our love affair with Brazilian web tradition doesn’t finish there! Earlier this yr in June, our personal Ellie Rountree spoke on the Social Media Brasil convention in São Paulo. You’ll be able to learn extra about it on Sonico Blog.
Make sure you take a look at a few of our different memes of Brazilian origin within the hyperlinks beneath! Much more could be discovered here!