Star Wars Rogue One : Things You Need To Know About
Rogue One hits cinemas mere days before Christmas. To keep you going until then, here’s all the critical intel on Star Wars: Rogue One released so far.
- Rogue one working title was ‘Red Cup’. Star Wars films have an odd naming history.
- Its place in the Star Wars time line is just before A New Hope. It is also 5 years after the Star Wars Rebels television show.
- Visual effects legend John Knoll came up with the story. He pitched it to Kathleen Kennedy and the rest is history.
- Doug Chiang is the production designer. His claim to fame is design work on the prequel trilogies.
- Garry Whitta wrote the first draft of the screenplay and came up with the film’s title. Gary is known for his work on The Book of Eli and After Earth.
- Screenwriter and director Christopher McQuarrie did a two week pass on the script post Whitta’s effort. McQuarrie is best known for winning an Oscar for scripting The Usual Suspects and has had a strong career since so his involvement is notable.
- This is the first Star Wars movie where the title of the movie is said. Bodhi Rook says it, confirming the title of the movie is a call sign.
- Alan Tudyk plays Enforcer Robot, K-250. He filmed a small cameo as a pilot called Wray Nerely but it was cut out.
- It is the first big screen Star Wars movie that John Williams has not recorded the score for. Michael Giacchino composed the music for Rogue One.
- The “I don’t like you either” guy, Dr. Evazan as a blink and you’ll miss him cameo. You’ll remember his as they guy giving Luke Skywalker a hard time in the Cantina Bar in ANH, a hard time until Obi-Wan stepped in and sorted things out.
- Genevieve O’Reilly reprised her role as Mon Mothma, whom she previously played in Revenge of the Sith.
- Jimmy Smits also returns as Leia’s father, Bail Organna. He played supporting roles in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith
- Character ‘Saw Gerrera’ original featured in Star Wars: Clone Wars television show. Gerrera is played by Oscar winner, Forrest Whitaker.
- The planet Jedha features a place known as the ‘Temple of the Whills’. This is a great reference to some obscure Star Wars trivia – The Journal of the Whills was a formal record of history, maintained by a beings known as The Whills. During the original Star Wars writing period, George Lucas had the idea that R2D2 relayed the stories he knew to the Whills so that the Skywalker saga could be recorded for all time.
- It was Donnie Yen’s idea for his character Chirrut Imwe to be blind. Director Gareth Edwards thought it was cool and ran with it. Yen initially turned down the role when it was first offered to him however when he told his kids about the chance, they were so excited, he changed his mind
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer
40 years of Star Wars THX references began with Mark Hamill. pic.twitter.com/hekjG1kKYV
— Star Wars (@starwars) November 29, 2016
Star Wars Is Owned By Lucas Films Ltd. LLC. Star Wars Is Created By Director George Lucas. Star Wars Rogue One Is Distributed By Walt Disney Pictures.