Muammar Gaddafi – popular and controversial African leader
Muammar Gaddafi had been called a tyrant, a dictator, a terrorist and some other terrible names. He was that popular and controversial African leader that was killed in a drainage canal in 2011. Colonel Gaddafi led the country of Libya over four decades.
He may have been a terrible leader but some articles I stumbled upon changed my perspective about this man. Under his reign :
- The GDP per capita of Libya in 2010 was 12064.8 USD . It was 7529 USD in 2018.
- Nursing mother was given 5000 (US dollars) for herself and the child.
- There were no electric bills as it was completely free.
- A house, farm land, live stock and seeds were given free of charge to those who wanted to start farming .
- Education and medical treatment were absolutely free.
- Generous subsidies were given for weddings, housing and car purchase. Now Libyans have to pay full price for everything.
- He built the largest irrigation system in the world recognized as “the eighth wonder of the world” its purpose was to supply water to all Libyans across the country.
His last words to his killers were “ what did I do to you?”
Was he really a terrible leader or were the people tired of him?