In 2005, Kyle MacDonald had no job, however wished to dwell in a home. With restricted choices for saving cash, he concocted an unorthodox plan.
Starting with a crimson paper clip on his desk in Montreal, he would try to commerce the seemingly ineffective merchandise for one thing higher. He would hold buying and selling up till he reached his purpose.
For his first step, he posted the crimson paper clip within the ‘Barter’ part on Craigslist. From Kyle MacDonald’s e book, sourced under:
one crimson paperclip
This may not shock you, however under is an image of a paperclip. It’s crimson.
This crimson paperclip is at present sitting on my desk subsequent to my laptop. I wish to commerce this paperclip with you for one thing greater or higher, possibly a pen, a spoon, or maybe a boot.
When you promise to make the commerce I’ll come and go to you, wherever you might be, to commerce.
Hope to commerce with you quickly!
PS – I’m going to make a steady chain of ‘up trades’ till I get a home. Or an Island. Or a home on an island. You get the concept.
By a dogged and sensible sequence of 14 trades over the course of 1 12 months (and enormously helped by later information and publicity of his quest), Kyle was in a position to efficiently remodel the paperclip into a brand new residence:
- Paper clip for Fish-shaped pen.
- Fish-shaped pen for a hand-sculpted doorknob.
- Doorknob for a Coleman camp range (with gasoline).
- Camp range for a Honda generator.
- Generator for an “instantaneous social gathering”: an empty keg, a beer-filling IOU for, and a neon Budweiser signal.
- “On the spot social gathering” for a snowmobile.
- Snowmobile for a two-person journey to British Columbia.
- Journey for a dice van.
- Dice van for a recording contract with Metalworks.
- Recording contract for a 12 months’s hire in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Yr’s hire for one afternoon with Alice Cooper.
- Alice Cooper afternoon for a KISS motorized snow globe.
- KISS motorized snow globe to Corbin Bernsen (a big collector of snow globes) for a task within the movie Donna on Demand.
- Film function for a two-story farmhouse in Kipling, Saskatchewan.
Kyle wrote a e book about his expertise, and even earned a spot within the Guiness Guide of World Data for “Most Profitable Internet Commerce.”