Victorian England was a time and place the place creepiness dominated just about all facets of on a regular basis life. Throughout this time, every little thing appeared regular for the individuals residing again then. Nonetheless, when trying again now, it’s onerous for us to think about how anybody maintained their sanity.
One creepy a part of Victorian occasions was the topic of dying. Sure, dying is fairly creepy, however Victorians in some way managed to make it only a bit weirder and creepier in 10 distinctive methods.
1. Demand vastly exceeded provide when it got here to discovering house to bury the useless. The de facto technique of disposing of our bodies was burial in small, city church yards, burial grounds, or vaults. It wasn’t an unusual sight to seek out 20 coffins in a single grave, all stacked on prime of one another.
2. Folks have been legitimately afraid of their useless family members coming again as zombies or vampires. Our bodies would generally be buried face down to forestall this. If the useless supposedly awoke and began digging, they might solely dig themselves additional into the Earth. If the household had a bit of more cash to spare, they might construct a steel cage over the grave to maintain the residing useless from escaping.
3. Our bodies in Victorian cemeteries have been continuously disturbed, dismembered, and destroyed. This was achieved by grasping gravediggers as a option to make room for brand new our bodies. It was fairly frequent to seek out bones and rotting physique components scattered round graveyards because of careless, callous gravediggers.
4. Outdated coffins have been smashed and offered as firewood to poor peasants. This was one other instance of grasping gravediggers trying to take monetary benefit of cemetery overcrowding.
5. Victorian graveyards stank…badly. The scent of overcrowded rotting our bodies in graveyards in the course of the Victorian period was notoriously horrible. Actually, the scent was so unhealthy that it was thought to have a big influence on the well being of the native inhabitants. One gravedigger in Victorian London summed it up properly. “I [have] emptied a cesspool, and the scent of it was rose-water in contrast with the scent of those graves.”
6. Gravediggers reportedly used to play a recreation known as Skittles with the bones of the deceased. Skittles was a precursors to modern-day bowling. Abuse like this was simply one other symptom of graveyard overcrowding throughout Victorian occasions.
7. “Cadaverous vapours” have been one thing to be cautious of in the course of the time. These vapours referred to the gasses the physique provides off whereas it decomposes. Consultants have been usually known as in to “faucet” coffins that have been saved in church vaults. This was to forestall them from violently exploding because of the build-up of gases. They most likely additionally didn’t scent too good.
8. Worshippers usually needed to endure horrific smells throughout companies, maybe because of the extra of our bodies saved within the vaults of church buildings and chapels. The foul aromas with “a peculiar style” compelled most individuals to worship with a handkerchief below their noses.
9. Should you haven’t figured it out by now, Victorian graveyards have been packed and overflowing with our bodies. However simply what number of our bodies? The common 200-square-foot churchyard may include wherever between 60 and 70,000 our bodies in the course of the peak of cemetery overcrowding within the Victorian period.
10. Funerals have been elaborate affairs for the well-to-do within the Victorian period. It was really doable so that you can rent skilled mourners to attend these funerals. These individuals weren’t permitted to talk. Their solely job was to affix the funeral procession and look unhappy. Not a nasty gig, when you ask me.
Studying these information solely additional fuels why I’d not need to have lived within the Victorian period. Particularly if it meant having to battle for a spot within the graveyard after I died. Although, in the long run, the grasping gravediggers would most likely simply throw my physique out after every week, anyway.