Frane Selak has allegedly escaped death seven times
Later in 2003, he won 800,000 Euro (US$1,110,000) in the lottery. He purchased two houses and a boat with his winnings.
His close encounters with death have been:
- A train he was on flipped off the tracks and fell into a river. Selek was pulled to safety, while 17 other passengers drowned.
- The next year, during his first plane ride, he was blown out of a malfunctioning plane door and landed in a haystack. The plane crashed, killing 19 people.
- Three years later, a bus he was riding skidded off the road and fell into a river. Selak was able to swim to safety, but 3 people drowned.
- In 1970 his car caught fire as he was driving, and he managed to escape before the fuel tank blew up.
- Three years later, the engine of his car was doused with hot oil from a malfunctioning fuel pump, causing flames to shoot through the air vents. He received only minor burns.
- In 1995, he was hit by a bus in Zagreb, but sustained only minor injuries.
- Years later, he avoided a head-on collision by swerving to the left and hitting a guardrail. Selak was flung through the windscreen, but he was able to hold onto a tree as his car plummeted 90 metres (300 ft) into a gorge.
All these instances must give Frane Selak the title of “Luckiest person to ever live”.