1. The name ‘India’ is derived from the river Indus. It is a valley around which people settled in earlier times.
2. India is the world’s oldest, largest and continuous civilization – the Indus Valley civilization.
3. India is also one of the largest democracies in the world.
4. India has more than 300,000 active mosques. This outnumbers any other country in the world, even the Muslim countries.
5. The second largest pool of engineers and scientists is from India.
6. India is the second largest English-speaking country in the world – 125,226,449 numbers of English speakers.
7.Bollywood is the largest movie industry in terms of output, followed by Nollywood – the movie industry of Nigeria.
8. India is also the country in which the highest number of votes were cast for a national general election. In 2009, the country saw its 417 million people cast their votes in five phases to elect the 543 members of the 15th Lok Sabha.
9. A world record was set when 485 children dressed as Mahatma Gandhigathered and walked in Kolkata. The walk was a demonstration to attain peace in the country and the world.
10. Jyoti Kisange Amge is the world’s shortest living woman. She was born on 16 December 1993. She is 62.8 centimeters tall (2 ft 0.6 in.)
11. With 37 teeth in his mouth, Vijay Kumar V.A. from India has the most teeth in the world.
12. India is house to the world’s biggest family: 39 wives, 94 children, and 33 grandchildren. The family lives in a 100-room, four-story house set amidst the hills of Baktwang village in the Indian state of Mizoram.
13. The gathering of Kumbh Mela is so massive that is visible from the space.
14. In 1980, the first satellite of India was transported on a bullock cart for testing.
15.Chess is one of the oldest games and was invented in India before the 6th Century.