Not surprised that it should be said, but injecting or consuming bleach or other cleaning supplies to combat COVID-19 is not a smart decision–it’s dangerous. President Trump said he thought disinfectant could be a viable treatment against the coronavirus, only to retract his comment less than 24 hours later claiming he was being “sarcastic.” This follows disclaimers from his administration, the FDA, and manufacturers saying that ingesting disinfectant is harmful to your health. Don’t do it.
There are indications that people do take Trump more seriously than they should. For instance, during the weeks in which Trump was pushing hydroxychloroquine at every opportunity, an Arizona man died after he tried to self-medicate with chloroquine phosphate. The man’s wife told NBC that she took the drug with her husband because they were thinking, “Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV?”